eora3d

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
eora3d

Unofficial user forum for the eora3d scanner.

4 posters

Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?

Ruby

Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?  Empty Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?

Post by Ruby Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Dear Fellow Eora3D Backers,

My scanner arrived. Should I bother testing it or just list it on eBay?

Human ingenuity dictates that if this device worked at all, too many blogs and youtube accounts would be filled with new 3D objects and creation-imagination videos.

The wonder-expressed would be glorious in its own 3D way.  

So many unique objects recast in the world. 3D printing services like Shapeways would have seen an increase in business.

We would all be praising the efforts of the three individuals who designed this amazing scanner, what they call:

the world’s first
    high-precision 3D Scanner that
    is entirely powered by a modern
    smartphone designed for
    professionals and consumers
    alike. A fast and easy-to-use
    solution for capturing objects
    and surfaces accurately in 3D.

Are we meant to take this statement seriously?

Perhaps I should test my scanner. According to this paragraph, I should be able to make a first scan after a
    reasonable effort. Say I am also a professional who charges in the higher range and I waste ten hours of my time
    believing this scanner will work as stated, according to the above paragraph.

Would I be justified to send an invoice to Eora3D for my lost time? Say a few 100 backers did the same? Perhaps this would attract the Aussie media?

Silence becomes company policy because they cannot defend what does not work. This is why they do not engage backers or even answer emails.

I will concede the unit is well-made and there must be hope that if source code was released, the backers themselves could muster the know-how to get it working.

Otherwise, is this a waste of time.

Should I sell or keep the Eora3D-Paperweight, because I am not going to beta test something that currently does not work.

There is something called humility. If the owners of this company were to just come forward and ASK FOR HELP in getting the Apps working so at least one workable scan is produced,
    and released to the world, they could still save it from the list of infamous start-up failures.

Regards, RubyG
    davidatgh

Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?  Empty Re: Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?

Post by davidatgh Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Several months before I received my Eora, I reported them to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. I haven't heard anything back. If you're feeling aggreived, you can do the same and any other reportages you can think of.

Assuming your Eora is working (I hear a few are not) I figure you could calibrate it at 1 MP and then ebay it in good conscience. The company I work for actually owns my Eora, and they're more patient than I am, so I'm holding on to it awaiting the presumed software improvements that will make it produce a decent scan. But as for the Eora working drastically better than any other consumer-priced 3D scanner? I'm not holding my breath and neither should you.

But since the blokes who sold us this pig in a poke are in Australia, and past masters at the art of being incommunicado, nothing your or I could do short of an expensive legal action that results in Australian police arriving on their doorstep with a subpoena or a warrant is going to get us any satisfaction, I fear.

"Silence becomes company policy because they cannot defend what does not work. This is why they do not engage backers or even answer emails. "

You said it better than me.
    dervish

Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?  Empty releasing the source code seems unlikely

Post by dervish Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm

The usual way of making money for tech devices is to sell the hardware cheap and cash in on software upgrades/addons. Unfortunately, I don't see Eora locking themselves out of the opportunity to rake in the residuals.
    davidatgh

Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?  Empty Re: Scanner recevied. Now should I even bother testing it?

Post by davidatgh Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:57 pm

dervish wrote:The usual way of making money for tech devices is to sell the hardware cheap and cash in on software upgrades/addons. Unfortunately, I don't see Eora locking themselves out of the opportunity to rake in the residuals.

dervish, I would not put that past them. But raking in the cash on software upgrades would require follow-through, and that's not exactly Eora's métier.
    aae83

Post by aae83 Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:58 am

In the TechCrunch youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdJ4JV94hg), Asfand Khan (EORA 3D CTO) says they'll soon be selling the EORA 3D scanner on Amazon for $599(!).  Either that will be a colossal failure and prove the reality of the situation, or the company will pull some long-missing rabbit out of the hat, and the thing will work as they originally claimed.  Yeah, right.

I cannot imagine the business model that would support selling this device with its current maturity on Amazon.  Amazon's return policy is great, and disillusioned consumers will be returning them in droves.  Not much profit in that.
    davidatgh

Post by davidatgh Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:09 pm

aae83 wrote:I cannot imagine the business model that would support selling this device with its current maturity on Amazon.  Amazon's return policy is great, and disillusioned consumers will be returning them in droves.  Not much profit in that.

The disillusioned customers will also be writing angry reviews. I might even write one, too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:54 am